Volume 3, Number 3, 2018, P. 39–48
[ SOCIOLOGICAL SCIENCES ]
Article (file: pdf, size: 362 KB, downloads: 665)
The article is devoted to the problems of the tutoring institute development in the context of the development of the modern educational space. Tutoring is considered as a necessary institution that complements and often replaces the system of training in a secondary school. The attention is focused on the increasing social inequality in the modern Russian society. The article provides the theoretical arguments to show the insidious effects of the educational system on the formation of social inequality and highlights the differentiating role of tutoring as a factor of social differentiation among young people in the period of secondary school completion. It presents the results of the applied sociological research that confirm the increasing trend of tutoring as an additional educational service both among school leavers and first-year students. The author identifies the causes of the wide spread of tutoring among secondary school leavers, determines the main reasons to seek tutoring and shows its socio-communicative, cultural and social aspects. The article provides the empirical results of related research examining the role and place of tutoring as a factor in the modern education system. The study concludes that school leavers are quite actively involved in training with tutors. The results of the survey have shown that the vast majority of first-year students have sought tutoring services; practically all first-year students of some fields of study in the higher educational institutions have worked with a tutor. The conclusion is made about the stability of the functioning of the institution of tutoring, which has been legitimized in the public consciousness in the modern Russian conditions.
education, tutoring, social inequality, social differentiation, academic preparatory classes
Victor B. Bolshov, Candidate of Sociological Sciences, Associate Professor of Sociology Department, Kuban State University, Krasnodar, Russia
Bolshov V.B. Tutoring as a factor of social inequality in the educational environment. Sotsial’naya kompetentnost’ = Social Competence. 2018;3(3): 39–48. (In Russ.).
- Al’tyusser L. Ideology and ideological apparatus of the state (notes for the study). Neprikosnovennyi zapas [Reserve Stocks], 2011, no. 3 (77). Available at: http://magazines.russ.ru/nz/2011/3/al3.html (accessed August 10, 2018).
- Zborovskii G.E. Social inequality and its types as a problem of sociology. Voprosy politologii i sotsiologii [Issues of politology and sociology], 2013, no. 2 (5), pp. 5–11. (In Russian).
- Zubok Yu.A. Problema riska v sotsiologii molodezhi [Phenomenon of risk in sociology: the experience of youth research]. Moscow: Moscow academy for humanities and social study Publ., 2003, 268 p. (In Russian).
- Konstantinovskii D.L. Youth in the system of education: dynamics of inequality. Sotsiologicheskii zhurnal [Sociological journal], 1997, no. 3, pp. 92–123. (In Russian).
- O repetitorstve i repetitorakh. Kak rossiyane otnosyatsya repetitorstvu i v chem ego funktsiya? [About tutoring and tutors. What is the feeling of Russians on tutoring and what its function is?]. Available at: http://fom.ru/Nauka-i-obrazovanie/11527 (accessed August 12, 2018).
- Roshchina Ya.M., Luk’yanova K.M. Obrazovatel’nye i ekonomicheskie strategii obuchayushchikhsya [Educational and economic strategies of students]. Monitoring ekonomiki obrazovaniya: informatsionnyi byulleten’ [Monitoring of Education Economics: Newsletter], 2010, no. 5 (45), 52 p. (In Russian).
- Stolyarenko L.D., Merzhoeva A.Kh. The dynamics of social selection in education. Teoriya i praktika obshchestvennogo razvitiya [Theory and practice of social development], 2010, no. 2, pp. 204–209. (In Russian).
- Cherednichenko G. A. Obrazovatel’nye i professional’nye traektorii rossiiskoi molodezhi (na materialakh sotsiologicheskikh issledovanii) [Educational and professional trajectories of the Russian youth (on the materials of sociological research)]. Moscow: Tsentr sotsial’nogo progno-zirovaniya i marketinga Publ., 2014, 560 p. (In Russian).
- Chuprov V.I., Zubok Yu.A., Uil’yams K. Molodezh’ v obshchestve riska [Youth in the society of risk]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 2003, 231 p. (In Russian).
- Shkaratan O.I. Expectations and reality. Social mobility in the context of equal opportunities. Obshchestvennye nauki i sovremennost’ [Social sciences and modernity], 2011, no. 1, pp. 5–24. (In Russian).
- Shubkin V.N., Konstantinovskii D.L. Molodezh’ i obrazovanie [Youth and education]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 1977, 160 p. (In Russian).