Volume 3, Number 2, 2018, P. 33–39
[ PHILOLOGICAL SCIENCES ]
Article (file: pdf, size: 256 KB, downloads: 486)
The article presents a cognitive analysis of the verb exhibit incorporating the component perception in its semantics. It analyzes different situations of perception which are described by some lexical-semantic variants of this verb. The author discusses the characteristics of the Observer participating in these situations who plays different roles, demonstrates complex cognitive levels of perception, and forms intellectual representations based on his observations. The study describes the peculiarities of the Observed that is a differentiating factor which helps to divide constructions with exhibit into different subgroups. The analysis shows that the analyzed verb can categorize not only perceptually oriented actions but also perceptual events. The author comes to the conclusion that the verb exhibit can categorize perceptually oriented actions of exhibiting different original objects in especially designed places for the Observers. The analyzed verb can also organize statements describing perceptually oriented actions with help of which the Agent tries to convince the Observer that he is right. In addition, the author proves that some situations in which the Observer perceives, interprets and evaluates the various demonstrations of feelings, emotions or character traits can be described with the help of the verb exhibit. The conclusion claims that it is necessary to take into account the interaction of the Observer and the Observed while carrying on a cognitive analysis.
showing, action, event, perception, Observer, Observed, agent, interpretation, lexicalsemantic variant
Ekaterina Yu. Kholdeyeva, Senior Lecturer of Foreign Languages Department No 1 for Engineering Fields of Study, Irkutsk National Research Technical University, Irkutsk, Russia
Kholdeyeva E.Yu. Cognitive approach in analysis of polysemantic verbs (through the example of the verb «exhibit»). Social Competence, 2018, vol. 3, no 2, pp. 33–39. (In Russian).
- Apresyan Yu.D. Leksicheskaya semantika (sinonimicheskie sredstva yazyka) [Lexical semantics (synonymous means of language)]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 1974, 367 p. (In Russian).
- Arkhipov I.K. Yazyk i yazykovaya lichnost’ [The Language and the Linguistic Personality]. Saint Petersburg: Knizhnyi dom Publ., 2008, 248 p. (In Russian).
- Verkhoturova T.L. Metakategoriya ʺnablyudatel’ʺ v nauchnoi kartine mira [The metacategory of the Observer in the scientific worldview]. Studia Linguistica Cognitiva. Iss. 1. Yazyk i poznanie: Metodologicheskie problemy i perspektivy [Language and cognition: methodological issues and perspectives]. Moscow: Gnozis Publ., 2006, pp. 45–65. (In Russian).
- Verkhoturova T.L. Faktor nablyudatelya v yazyke nauki: monografiya [Factor of the Observer in the language of science: monograph]. Irkutsk: Irkutsk State Linguistic University Publ., 2008, 290 p. (In Russian).
- Kovaleva L.M., Bogdanova S.Yu., Semenova T.I. Slovo v predlozhenii [Word in the sentence]. Irkutsk: Irkutsk State Linguistic University Publ., 2010, 281 p. (In Russian).
- Kustova G.I. Tipy proizvodnykh znachenii i mekhanizmy yazykovogo rasshireniya [Types of derived meanings and mechanisms of language extension]. Moscow: Yazyki slavyanskoi kul’tury Publ., 2004, 472 p. (In Russian).
- Paducheva E.V. Nablyudatel’ kak Eksperient “za kadrom” [Observer as Experiencer “off stage”]. Slovo v tekste i slovare [Word in the text and dictionary]. Moscow: Yazyki russkoi kul’tury Publ., 2000, pp. 185–201. (In Russian).
- Paducheva E.V. Dinamicheskie modeli v semantike leksiki [Dynamic models of lexical semantics]. Moscow: Yazyki slavyanskoi kul’tury Publ., 2004, 608 p. (In Russian).
- Kholdeeva E.Yu. The process of evaluation in semantics of some verbs of showing in modern English. Vestnik Irkutskogo gosudarstvennogo lingvisticheskogo universiteta [Bulletin of Irkutsk State Linguistic University], 2014, no. 2 (27), pp. 98–103. (In Russian).
- British National Corpus. Available at: http://corpus.byu.edu/bnc/ (accessed 3 May 2018).
- Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner’s English Dictionary. New York: Harper Collins Publishers, 2007, 496 p.
- Corpus of Contemporary American English. Available at: http://corpus.byu.edu/coca/ (accessed 3 May 2018).
- Hornby A.S. The advanced learner’s dictionary of current English. Moscow: AST Publ., 2006, 1566 p.
- Oxford Dictionary of English. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2005, 2088 p.
- Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English. Harlow: Longman, 2000, 1668 p.
- King S. The Shining. Available at: http://fobook.ru/category/original/ (accessed 2 May 2018).