Volume 5, Number 4, 2020, P. 549–559
[ SOCIOLOGICAL SCIENCES ]
Article (file: pdf, size: 560 KB, downloads: 232)
The article considers the issues of social justice in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. The main purpose of the study is to analyze the impact of the 2019-2020 pandemic on social inequality processes in different countries that cause a change of the concept of social justice. It analyses the social changes in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, the phenomenon of social justice from viewpoint of the representatives of various social, economic, philosophical traditions: Aristotle, Cicero, L. Kelso, M. Adler, Weber A. and others. The author comes to the conclusion that in different periods of the historical development of society, the understanding of social justice and its content interpretation are different. It should be noted that social justice is an implicit agreement of a society in order to promote justice as a collective good. However, its interpretation reveals a contradiction between social equality and individual freedom. It is noted that in a society at risk, the attitude towards social justice worsens; in this context it is maximally fragmented into a multitude of individual and group criteria. Examining the economic and social consequences of combating the pandemic, we understand that little attention is paid to the principles of social justice when resources of a society are distributed and there is a gap in needs satisfaction of various social groups, which produces the phenomenon of a disjointed society.
social justice, social inequality, disjointed society, pandemic, COVID-19
Elena N. Struk, Head of Sociology and Psychology Department, Irkutsk National Research Technical University, Irkutsk, Russia
Struk E.N. (2020) Social justice in the context of COVID-19 pandemic // Sotsial’naya kompetentnost’ = Social Competence. Vol. 5. No. 4. P. 549–559. (In Russ.)
- Bauman Z. (2015) Does the Richness of the Few Benefit Us All? Moscow: Institut Gaidara. 29 p. (In Russ.)
- Veber A.B. (2015) Social justice and development. Svobodnaya mysl’ = Free thought. No. 5. P. 95–108. (In Russ.)
- Gavrilova I.N. (2009) Modern theories of social justice. Politiya = Politeia. No. 1 (52). P. 182–189. (In Russ.)
- Dal’ V.I. (2020) Will. Dahl’s Explanatory Dictionary online. Available from: http://slovardalja.net/word.php?wordid=3639 (Аccessed: 1th September 2020). (In Russ.)
- Diton A. (2016) The Great Escape. Health, wealth and the origins of inequality. Moscow: Institut Gaidara: fond Liberal’naya missiya. 365 p. (In Russ.)
- Zhitkova V.T. (2020) You get addicted to these feelings: why Russian businessmen work as volunteers in COVID hospitals. Forbes Staff = Forbes Staff. Available from: https://www.forbes.ru/karera-i-svoybiznes/413721-na-eti-oshchushcheniyapodsazhivaeshsya-zachem-rossiyskiebiznesmeny (Аccessed: 17th September 2020). (In Russ.)
- Ignatova O.V. (2019) Experts identified the level of the gap between rich and poor. Russian newspaper. Available from: https://rg.ru/2019/07/28/eksperty-nazvali-uroven-razryva-vdohodah-mezhdu-bogatymi-i-bednymi.html (Аccessed: 12th September 2020).
- Kashnikov B.N. (2001) Aristotle’s concept of general justice: The experience of reconstruction. Eticheskaya mysl’ = Ethical Thought. Iss. 2. Moscow: IF RAN. P. 89–114. (In Russ.)
- Kiryukhin D.I., Shcherbak S.I. (2007) Ideas of justice in Russia and Ukraine: everyday life and ideology. Sotsiologiya: teoriya, metody, marketing = Sociology: Theory, Methods, Marketing. No. 1. P. 136–150. (In Russ.)
- Krasin Yu.A. (2008) Social inequality in the political dimension: report. Available from: http://www.ispr.ru/Confer/SocioProblem/socproblem.html (Аccessed: 18th September 2020). (In Russ.)
- Krol’ M. (2016) Theory of justice. Equality vs Hierarchy. Cloudwatcher website. Social Innovation Lab. Available from: http://www.cloudwatcher.ru/analytics/5/view/26/ (Аccessed: 10th September 2020). (In Russ.)
- Fursov A.I. (2011) The fourth era. A historian’s view. Proekty i riski budushchego. Kontseptsii, modeli, instrumenty, prognozy = Projects and risks of the future. Concepts, models, tools, forecasts. Moscow: KRASAND. 432 p. (In Russ.)
- Tsitseron M.T. (1993) About old age. About friendship. About responsibilities. Moscow: Nauka, 245 p. (In Russ.)
- Shapovalov A.D.(2019) Everyone who made money through backbreaking work. Wealthy Citizens Own Virtually All Financial Assets and Savings in the Russian Federation. Kommersant»= Kommersant. No. 5(6545). 12 April. (In Russ.)
- Ardanaz M., Scartascini C. (2014) The Economic Effects of Constitutions: Do Budget Institutions Make Forms of Government More Alike? Constitutional Political Economy. No. 25(3). Р. 301–329.
- Bottan N., Hoffmann B. and Vera-Cossio D. (2020) The Unequal Burden of the Coronavirus Pandemic: Evidence from Latin America and the Caribbean. Mimeo. Available from: https://blogs.iadb.org/ideasmatter/en/coronavirus-survey-results-show-bigimpacts-linkages-between-labor-markets-andinequality/ (Аccessed: 20th September 2020).
- Busso M., Messina J. (2020) The inequality crisis Latin America and the Caribbean at the Crossroads, IDB Inter-American Development Bank. 385 p.
- Couch Kenneth A., Fairlie Robert W., Xu Huanan (2020) Early evidence of the impacts of COVID-19 on minority unemployment . Journal of Public Economics. No. 192. P. 1–11.
- Fraser N. (1997) Justice Interrupts. Critical Reflection on the «Postsocialist» Condition. N.Y. London: Routledge. 257 р.
- Global wealth report (2020) Credit Suisse Research Institute 56 c/c. Available from: https://www.credit-suisse.com/aboutus/en/reports-research/global-wealth-report.html (Аccessed: 20th September 2020).
- Kelso Louis O., Adler Mortimer J. (1958) The capitalist manifesto: Random House. 279 р.
- What Could China‘s ‗Social Credit System‘ Mean for its Citizens? (2016) Available from: http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/08/15/what-couldchinas-social-credit-system-mean-for-itscitizens/ (Аccessed: 19th September 2020).
- Wilder-Smith A, Freedman DO. (2020) Isolation, quarantine, social distancing and community containment: pivotal role for old-style public health measures in the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) outbreak. J Travel Med. 27:taaa020.
- World Federation of Exchanges, «First Quarter 2020 & Full Year 2019 Market Highlights» (2020). Available from: https://www.worldexchanges.org/news/articles/world-federationexchanges-releases-first-quarter-2020-full-year2019-market-highlights (Аccessed: 20th September2020).
- World Population Review 2020. Available from: https://worldpopulationreview.com/countryrankings/gini-coefficient-by-country (Аccessed: 20th September 2020).
- U.S. Income Inequality Worsens, Widening To A New Gap (2019). Available from: https://www.npr.org/2019/09/26/764654623/u-sincome-inequality-worsens-widening-to-a-newgap (Аccessed 12th September 2020).