Volume 3, Number 3, 2018, P. 63–71
[ SOCIOLOGICAL SCIENCES ]
Article (file: pdf, size: 232 KB, downloads: 421)
The article presents the empirical study of the deterioration tendency of social health of senior age groups that includes population aged 60 years and over. Social health is considered as set of personal characteristics providing an individual with harmonious interaction with the social environment as a result of which, on the one hand, his/her biopsychosocial needs are met and, on the other hand, social environment preserves and develops. Social health deterioration is shown in social exclusion strengthening, feeling unwell in various types of relations and so forth. Analysis of the reasons causing social health deterioration of representatives of senior age group (weak social motivation, lack of knowledge of social activism opportunities, a prevalence of external locus control, etc.) enables to justify the program of work with them aimed at social health strengthening. The efficiency of this program which includes endeavors to create conditions, attitudes, motivations, knowledge and abilities providing a social inclusion of elderly and senile aged population is experimentally proved on the basis of indicators of life quality of its participants. The results of the study have shown an essential role of planning for old age, own time structuring, work to identify negative gerontostereotypes and their dispelling both in attitudes and practices, broadening of social outlook in formation of elderly aged population social health. Due to this program the indicators of emotional health scales, vitality and emotional and role functioning have undergone basic positive correction, in a smaller measure – social and especially physical functioning.
social health, senior age group, social exclusion, health in relations, social capital
Lola V. Kolpina, Candidate of Sociological Sciences, Associate Professor of Social Technologies Department, Belgorod State National Research University, Belgorod, Russia
The study was completed as a part of the RFFR project No. 16-03-00203-OGN “The potential of the local community in formation of the social health of senior age group population”.
Kolpina L.V. Formation experience of senior age group population’s social health. Sotsial’naya kompetentnost’ = Social Competence. 2018;3(3): 63–71. (In Russ.).
- Kolpina L.V. Social health of Belgorod region population. Nauchnye vedomosti Belgorodskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya: Filosofiya. Sotsiologiya. Pravo [Scientific bulletin of Belgorod State University. Series: Philosophy. Sociology. Law], 2009, no. 10 (65), pp. 78–90. (In Russian).
- Saponov D.I., Smol’kin A.A. Social exclusion of elderly people: the development of a measurement model. Monitoring obshchestvennogo mneniya: ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny [Monitoring public opinion: economic and social changes], 2012, no. 5 (111), pp. 83–94. (In Russian).
- Maksimova S.G., Noyanzina O.E., Maksimova M.M., Shcheglova D.K. Social exclusion of senior age groups: social and economic aspects. Vestnik Altaiskogo gosudarstvennogo agrarnogo universiteta [Bulletin of Altai State Agrarian University], 2015, no. 5 (127), pp. 180–184. (In Russian).
- Azarina M.S. Social exclusion of elderly people in the post-Soviet modernization. Sotsiosfera [Sociosphere], 2012, no. 1, pp. 75–76. (In Russian).
- Kolpina L.V. Potentsial mestnogo soobshchestva v formirovanii sotsial’nogo zdorov’ya naseleniya starshikh vozrastnykh grupp [The potential of the local community in shaping the social health of the population of senior age groups]. Ul’yanovsk: Zebra Publ., 2018, 143 p. (In Russian).
- Kolpina L.V., Vangorodskaya S.A., Reutov E.V. Bar’ery formirovaniya i funktsioni-rovaniya sotsial’nykh setei: regional’nyi aspect [Barriers of formation and functioning of social networks: regional aspect]. Belgorod: Izdatel’skii dom “Belgorod” Publ., 2013, 284 p. (In Russian).
- Reutov E.V., Kolpina L.V., Reutova M.N., Boyarinova I.V. Sotsial’nye seti v regional’nom soobshchestve [Social networks in regional community]. Belgorod: Konstanta Publ., 2011, 240 p. (In Russian).
- Reutov E.V., Reutova M.N., Kolpina L.V., Shavyrina I.V. Grazhdanskoe uchastie kak resurs sotsial’noi solidarnosti [Civic participation as a resource for social solidarity]. Saarbrucken: Lambert Academic Publishing, 2015, 189 p. (In Russian).
- Kolpina L.V. Eidzhizm v obsluzhivanii pozhilykh grazhdan uchrezhdeniyami zdravookhraneniya i sotsial’noi zashchity [Ageism in provision of services for senior citizens by health care and social protection institutions]. Ul’yanovsk: Zebra Publ., 2015, 128 p. (In Russian).
- Ware Jr.J.E., Kosinski M., Bayliss M.S., McHorney C.A., Rogers W.H., Raczek A. Comparison of methods for the scoring and statistical analysis of SF36 health profile and summary measures: summary of results from the Medical Outcomes Study. Medical Care, 1995, pp. 264–279.
- Ware Jr.J.E., Sherbourne C. The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36): I. Conceptual framework and item selection. Medical Care, 1992, no. 30 (6) pp. 478–483.