Volume 3, Number 2, 2018, P. 62–67
[ PEDAGOGICAL SCIENCES ]
Article (file: pdf, size: 162 KB, downloads: 481)
The study is timely due to the utmost importance of solving the problem of understanding when teaching a foreign language. The understanding of written and oral speech plays an important role in providing effective communication and is one of the foundations of the professional competence of students as future professionals. The article summarizes the experience of wellknown experts on the problem of understanding, draws conclusions about approaches that can ensure acquisition of speech understanding skills, examines the challenges students face when trying to understand English written and oral speech. The correct use of approaches provides successful acquisition of the skills of understanding speech in the context of established skills of reading scientific literature in a foreign language. For this reason the important thing is that the students should understand the system of semantic links between the elements of utterances on scientific topics in their native language. One of the main methodological approaches is the formation of students’ abilities to analyze and synthesize speech related to understanding. The students ‘ability to analyze and synthesize speech, their erudition, the existence of a large number of lexical units in English scientific speech that have direct correspondence in Russian can contribute to solving the task of understanding. In the text understanding, either the ability to analyze the language structure and content or the contextual deduction can prevail. It will be useful if students read a large amount of scientific and technical literature in the foreign language they study and do a lot of of written translations.
foreign language, teaching students, teaching to understand, written speech, oral speech, technique of teaching, professional texts
Nina K. Epritskaya, Senior Lecturer of Foreign Languages Department No 1 for Engineering Fields of Study, Irkutsk National Research Technical University, Irkutsk, Russia
Epritskaya N.K. Understanding as the basis of teaching speaking skills in a foreign language to students of technical universities. Social Competence, 2018, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 62–67. (In Russian).
- Abakumova I.V. Obuchenie i smysl: smysloobrazovanie v uchebnom protsesse: (Psikhologodidakticheskii podkhod) [Education and sense: sense-creation in the learning process. (Psychological-didactic approach)]. Rostov-on-Don: Rostov State University Publ., 2003, 478 p. (In Russian).
- Abakumova I.V., Ermakov P.N., Rudakova I.A. Smyslotsentrizm v pedagogike: novoe ponimanie didakticheskikh metodov [Sense orientation in pedagogy: a new understanding of didactic techniques]. Rostov-on-Don: Rostov State University Publ., 2006, 256 p. (In Russian).
- Bim I.L. Teaching of foreign languages: searching for new ways. Inostrannye yazyki v shkole [Foreign languages in school], 1989, no. 1, pp. 19–26. (In Russian).
- Dem’yankov V.Z. Understanding as interpretative activity. Voprosy yazykoznaniya [Issues in linguistics], 1983, no. 6, pp. 58–67. (In Russian).
- Komissarov V.N. Slovo o perevode [A Word on Translation]. Moskow: Nauka Publ., 1980, 189 p. (In Russian).
- Mashlykina N.D. Using speech support in the process of learning a foreign language. Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya [Modern problems of science and education], 2014, no. 6. Availabe at: https://www.scienceeducation.ru/ru/article/view?id=15544 (accessed 12 January 2018).
- Moskal’chuk G.G. Struktura teksta kak sinergeticheskii protsess [Text structure as a synergistic process]. Moskow: Izdatel’skaya gruppa “URSS”, 2003, 296 p. (In Russian).
- Solovova E.N. The tasks of universities, faculties and departments in the context of transition to FSES HPE – standards of the third generation. Inostrannye yazyki v vysshei shkole [Foreign languages in higher education], 2010, iss. 2 (13), pp. 21–24. (In Russian).
- Khaleeva, I.I. Osnovy teorii obucheniya ponimaniyu inoyazychnoi rechi [Fundamentals of the theory of learning a foreign language speech understanding]. Moskow: Vysshaya shkola Publ., 1989, 238 p. (In Russian).