Volume 3, Number 2, 2018, P. 131–139
[ SOCIOLOGICAL SCIENCES ]
Article (file: pdf, size: 412 KB, downloads: 478)
In the modern world, educational mobility is a widespread phenomenon. In the process of training, international students get an idea of the host country and its citizens. The article provides the results of the study of the images of East Asia (China) and Eastern Europe (Poland) countries perceived by international students. The authors have interviewed students who studied in these countries for at least six months. The methods of qualities assignation and free description were applied. To collect data the questionnaire was drawn up in Russian and English. From the international students’ viewpoint five characteristics (components) are important for the image of a country: climate and geography, politico-legal aspect, inhabitants, culture and art, personal assessments and attitudes. When comparing the significance of these elements in the image of Poland and China, some differences were found in the students’ perception of European and Asian states and cultures. The article discusses images of local residents, their positive and negative characteristics from foreign international students’ viewpoint. Seven significant components were identified in the image of the local population: elements reflecting the relationship with the country and other cultures; attitude towards work and business qualities; communicative characteristics; attitude towards people; general personality orientation; life experience, lifestyle and habits; physical appearance. Differences in perception of host country population by students studying in Eastern Europe and East Asia have been revealed.
international student, educational mobility, ethnic stereotype, inhabitant, country of training, local resident, image, perception
Olga A. Khomchenko, a graduate student, Kuban State University, Krasnodar, Russia
Elena S. Studenikina, Associate Professor of Sociology Department, Candidate of Sociological Sciences, Kuban State University, Krasnodar, Russia
Khomchenko O.A., Studenikina E.S. Eastern Europe and East Asia countries in international students’ perception. Social Competence, 2018, vol. 3, no 2, pp. 131–139. (In Russian).
- Bromlei Yu.V. Ocherki teorii etnosa [Essays on ethnos theory]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 1983, 412 p. (In Russian).
- Gumilev L. Etnos i kategoriya vremeni [Ethnos and the category of time]. Doklady Geograficheskogo obshchestva SSSR [Reports of the Geographical Society of the USSR]. Iss. 15, 1970, pp. 143–157. (In Russian).
- Petrov V.N. Ethnic migrants and a multiethnic host: problems of tolerance. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya [Sociological study], 2003, no. 7, pp. 84–91. (In Russian).
- Petrov V.N. Alien migrants and the host society. Features of the problem interaction. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya [Sociological study], 2005, no. 9, pp. 74–82. (In Russian).
- Petrov V.N., Rakachev V.N., Rakacheva Ya.V. Vashchenko A.V. Features of international students’adaptation. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya [Sociological study], 2009, no. 2 (298), pp. 117–121. (In Russian).
- Soldatova G.U. Psikhologiya mezhetnicheskoi napryazhennosti [Psychology of interethnic tension]. Moscow: Smysl Publ., 1998, 389 p. (In Russian).
- Stefanenko T.G. Etnopsikhologiya: praktikum [Ethnopsychology: a case study]. Moscow: Aspekt Press Publ., 2006, 208 p. (In Russian).
- Tishkov V.A. Rekviem po etnosu. Issledovaniya po sotsial’no-kul’turnoi antropologii [Requiem for the ethnos. Study of socio-cultural anthropology]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 2003, 544 p. (In Russian).
- Tolstova Yu.N. Izmerenie v sotsiologii [Change in sociology]. Moscow: Knizhnyi dom Universitet Publ., 2007, 288 p. (In Russian).
- Fakty obrazovaniya [Education facts]. Available at: https://ioe.hse.ru/data/2016/08/04/1119531130/ФО7.pdf (accessed 1 March 2018).
- Yadov V. Sotsiologiya v Rossii [Sociology in Russia]. Moscow: Institute of Sociology of the Russian Academy of Sciences Publ., 1998, 696 p. (In Russian).
- UniPage. Statistika grazhdan Rossii, obuchayushchikhsya za granitsei [Statistics of Russian citizens studying abroad]. Available at: https://www.unipage.net/ru/student_statistics (accessed 1 March 2018).