Volume 8 (2023), № 1, P. 119–128
[ SOCIOLOGICAL SCIENCES ]
Article (file: pdf, size: 351 KB, downloads: 101)
This article is an analysis of the features of the internetization of older people in modern conditions of digital transformation of society and the definition of qualitative changes and the way of their daily life. The information base of the study consisted of thematic scientific works by Russian and foreign authors (Belarus, Vietnam), statistical information and materials of the Federal State Statistics Service, the territorial body of the Federal State Statistics Service for the Irkutsk Region for the period from 2017 to 2021; the results of various sociological studies aimed at studying the peculiarities of Internet practices of older people and their social adaptation to digital transformation, where the leading role is played by digital competencies of the older generation, the formation of which depends on their motivation and activity, and also requires special pedagogical methods and approaches. In general, despite the presence of not only constructive, but also destructive strategies of adaptive behavior of older people, their low share as active Internet users in comparison with young people, digital inequality, techno-ageism and technostress, it is concluded that significant changes in everyday life, satisfaction of a wide range of material, social and spiritual needs and empowerment of the elderly people, as well as a positive impact on their health, relationships, work, leisure, social and political activity, overall life satisfaction.
elderly people, digitalization, digital competencies, digital inequality, techno-ageism, «silver economy», technostress
Lyudmila A. Sargaeva, Victoria S. Bakhurnova, Evgeniya G. Kopalkina
Baikal State University, Irkutsk, Russia
For citation: Sargaeva L.A., Bakhurnova V.S., Kopalkina E.G. (2023) Digital technologies and the quality of life of the elderly in modern conditions. Sotsial’naya kompetentnost’ = Social Competence. Vol. 8. No. 1. P. 119–128. (In Russ.)
- Alekseeva O.A., Bestuzheva O.Yu., Vershinskaya O.N, Galyuzhin A.Yu., Skvortsova E.E. (2019) New Opportunities and Risks of E-Services Consumption by Older People. Narodonaselenie = Population. No. 1. P. 128-142. (In Russ).
- Vdovina M.V., Nguen Kh.Kh. (2023) Use of digital technologies for health care by older people: a case study in Ho Chi Minh City. Obshchestvo: sotsiologiya, psikhologiya, pedagogika = Society: sociology, psychology, pedagogy. No. 1 (105). P. 15-22. (In Russ).
- Vershinskaya O.N., Skvortsova E.E. (2017) Life of people 50+ in the Internet space. Narodonaselenie = Population. No. 2 (76). P. 119-128. (In Russ).
- Karapetyan R.V., Lebedeva E.V., Titarenko L.G. (2021) Technoageism and Technological Behavior of Elderly Citizens: Results of Russian and Belarusian Research. Uspekhi gerontologii = Advances in Gerontology. Vol. 34. No. 2. P. 311-318. (In Russ).
- Kayugina S.M. (2020) Formation of digital competencies in people of the “third age”. Mir nauki, kul’tury, obrazovaniya = The world of science, culture, education. No. 2 (81). P. 242-244. (In Russ).
- Kopalkina E.G., Gulyaeva A.I. (2022) Regional experience in organizing related (family) care for the elderly and disabled. Vektory blagopoluchiya: ekonomika i sotsium = Vectors of well-being: economy and society. No. 3 (46). P. 83-94. (In Russ).
- Kornilova M.V. (2018) The Internet as an adaptation resource for older users. Izvestiya Saratovskogo universiteta. Novaya seriya. Seriya: Sotsiologiya. Politologiya = News of the Saratov University. New episode. Series: Sociology. Political science. No.3. P. 250-25. (In Russ).
- Kornilova M.V. (2018) Computer and Internet Technologies in the Life of the Elderly: Opportunities and Risks. Vlast’ = Power. No. 6. P. 62-69. (In Russ).
- Kranzeeva E.A. (2019) “Babushki-online”: sociopolitical activity of older people. Logos et Praxis. No. 1. P. 66-74. (In Russ).
- Lebedeva L.S. (2018) “Quality of life”: key approaches and concept structure. Monitoring obshchestvennogo mneniya: Ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny = The Russian public opinion monitor. No. 4 (146). P. 68-80. (In Russ).
- Mishenichev K.S., Borodkina O.I. (2022) Digital technologies for the elderly with dementia: problems and prospects for implementation. Uspekhi gerontologii = Advances in Gerontology. Vol. 35. No. 1. P. 76-84. (In Russ).
- Mokroguz E.D. (2016) Organization of computer literacy courses for people of the third age in the Russian Federation. Problemy sovremennogo obrazovaniya = Problems of modern education. No. 1. P. 55-62. (In Russ).
- Neskoromnykh N.I., Mamadaliev A.M. (2017) Strategies for adaptive behavior of the elderly in the Internet space. Mediaobrazovanie = Media Education. No. 1. P. 163–175. (In Russ).
- Nekhoda E.V., Roshchina I.V., Pak V.D. (2018) Quality of life: problems of measurement. Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Ekonomika = Tomsk state university journal of economics. No.43. P. 107-125. (In Russ).
- Ptitsyna N.A. (2018) Mastering Computer Literacy by Older People: Gender Aspect. Vestnik Nizhegorodskogo universiteta im. N.I. Lobachevskogo. Seriya: Sotsial’nye nauki = Vestnik of Lobachevsky state university of Nizhni Novgorod. Social sciences. No. 4 (52). P. 81-89. (In Russ).
- Tyukin O.A., Luk’yanova I.E. (2021) The problem of maintaining the quality of life of the elderly in conditions of self-isolation. Sibirskii nauchnyi meditsinskii zhurnal = The Siberian medical journal. Vol. 41. No. 1. P. 124-129. (In Russ).