Volume 5, Number 3, 2020, P. 334–340
[ PEDAGOGICAL SCIENCES ]
Article (file: pdf, size: 527 KB, downloads: 207)
The article is an attempt to update the development of critical thinking through students’ analytical reading in the classes of oral communication culture in a foreign language. The authors bring together current trends in information perception – clip-like nature and impairment in ability to evaluate the information critically with digital literacy and cognitive easiness. The importance of analytical reading in class is driven by the general cultural and professional competencies of future linguists. The study provides a brief overview of the key works on analytical reading. Description of the basic techniques and elaborations for the development of critical thinking and analytical reading can be considered as the subject of the research. The elements of general scientific analysis and synthesis of material are the main methods of the research. The authors consider the features of analytical reading; provide the main integrated approaches while working with a text (assessment of background knowledge, annotating, brainstorming, questions to the author, etc.) The necessity to work with fake news in analytical reading classes is grounded. The approximate analysis algorithm that allows working with linguistic material in both native and foreign languages is given. The elements of such an algorithm include: source analysis, date of distribution, author, site design, and fact checking. Resources for check if the news is false or true are provided. The article ends with conclusions; the prospect of the further research is outlined.
critical thinking, analytical reading, digital literacy, fake news, speaking practice
Oxana L. Zabolotneva, Cand. Sci. (Philology), associate Professor, Chelyabinsk State University, Chelyabinsk, Russia
Irina V. Kozhukhova, Cand. Sci. (Philology), associate Professor, Chelyabinsk State University, Chelyabinsk, Russia
Zabolotneva O.L., Kozhukhova I.V. (2020) Analytical reading in class of oral communication culture (a foreign language). Sotsial’naya kompetentnost’ = Social Competence. Vol. 5. No. 2. P. 334–340. (In Russ.)
- Akimenko G.V., Mihajlova T.M. (2017) The phenomenon of «clip»: identification of the type of cognitive activities. INTERNATIONAL INNOVATION RESEARCH: sbornik statej IX mezhdunarodnoj nauchno-prakticheskoj konferencii (Penza, 12 ijunja 2017 g.).= Collected works of IX international scientific and practical conference (Penza, June 12, 2017). Penza: MCNS Nauka i Prosveshhenie. P. 268–271. (In Russ.)
- Alekseeva E.V., Zaharova M.D. (2018) Diagnostika klipovogo myshlenija: problemy i perspektivy Diagnostic clip’s thinking: problems and prospects. Gercenovskie chtenija: psihologicheskie issledovanija v obrazovanii: materialy I mezhdunarodnoj nauchno-prakticheskoj konferencii (Sankt-Peterburg, 10-11 oktjabrja 2018 г.) = Herzen readings: psychological researches in education: proceedings of I international scientific and practical conference (Saint Petersburg, October 10-11, 2018). SanktPeterburg: Herzen University. P. 186–192. (In Russ.)
- Grudzinskaja E.Ju. (2005) Pedagogical technology “Development of critical thinking through reading and writing” in specialist training. Vestnik Nizhegorodskogo universiteta im. N.I. Lobachevskogo. Serija: Innovacii v obrazovanii = Vestnik of Lobachevsky University of Nizhni Novgorod. Series: Innovations in Education. No.1. P. 181–188. (In Russ.)
- Dutko Ju.A., Belovol E.V. (2020) Features of formation of thinking in the digital environment (comparative analysis of generations). Nauchnyj rezul’tat. Pedagogika i psihologija obrazovanija = Research result. Pedagogy and psychology of education. Vol. 6. No. 1. P. 78–92. (In Russ.)
- Dudko L.N., Mirzoeva M.M. (2016) Revisiting strategies of critical thinking development through reading and writing in contemporary paradigm of education. Evrazijskij vestnik gumanitarnyh issledovanij = Eurasian bulletin of humanitarian researches. No. 1(4). P. 173–180. (In Russ.)
- Isakova I.A. (2019) Informatization and gadgetisation of modern society and childhood. The Digital Scholar: Philosopher‘s Lab. Vol. 2. No. 1. P. 131–145. (In Russ.)
- Kukina E.N. (2010) Fundamentals of pedagogical technology for the formation of students’ critical thinking through reading and writing. Izvestija Volgogradskogo gosudarstvennogo tehnicheskogo universiteta. Serija: Novye obrazovatel’nye sistemy i tehnologii obuchenija v vuze = Izvestia Volgograd state technical university. Series: New educational systems and teaching technologies at university. Vol. 7. No. 8 (68). P. 114–117. (In Russ.)
- Maksimova T.V. (2011) Application of development technologies of critical thinking through reading and writing in history lessons. Innovacionnye proekty i programmy v obrazovanii = Innovative projects and programs in education. No. 2. P. 68–71. (In Russ.)
- Savateeva A.L. (2014) Lesson of extracurricular reading with the use of elements of the technology «development of critical thinking through reading and writing» (DCTRW). Master-klass = Master class. No. 10. P. 18–25. (In Russ.)
- Petrichuk I.I. (2011) Technology for the development of critical thinking through reading and writing in teaching English. Obrazovanie v sovremennoj shkole = Education in the modern school. No. 4. P. 34–40. (In Russ.)
- Uryupina I.V. Literature lesson with the usage of the technology of critical thinking through reading and writing in grade 11. Pedagogicheskiy opyt: teoriya, metodika, praktika = Pedagogical experience: theory, methodology, practice. No. 4 (9). P. 193–195. (In Russ.)
- Angel Th., Cross K. (1998) Classroom Assessment Techniques: A Handbook for College Teachers. San Francisco: Joseey-Bass. 448 p.
- Ashley S., Maksl A., Craft S. (2013) Developing a news media literacy scale // Journalism and Mass Communication Educator. Vol. 68. No. 1. P. 7–21.
- Bean J.C. (2011) Engaging Ideas: The Professor’s Guide to Integrating Writing, Critical Thinking, and Active Learning in the Classroom. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. 384 p.
- Ratto M. (2011) Critical making: Conceptual and material studies in technology and social life // Information Society. Vol. 27. No. 4. P. 252–260.
- Sachdeva P., Tripathi D. (2019) A critical education for 21st century: A study on youth and media literacy // Journal of Content, Community and Communication. Vol. 10. No. 5. P. 64–72.
- The Illusion of truth // Veritasium. Аvailable from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=31&v=cebFWOlx848&feature=emb_logo (Accessed 20 August 2020).
- Tully M., Vraga E.K., Smithson A. (2020) News media literacy, perceptions of bias, and interpretation of news // Journalism. Vol. 21. No. 2. P. 209–226.