Volume 4, Number 1, 2019, P. 87–94
[ SOCIOLOGICAL SCIENCES ]
Article (file: pdf, size: 234 KB, downloads: 334)
The article discusses the use and public significance of the native languages of the indigenous small-numbered peoples of the North of the Khanty-Mansiysk autonomous okrug — Ugra. The main objective of the study was to examine the current state of the level of native languages proficiency, to assess the public significance of native languages and determine their level of resilience in the current context. Specifically, the results of sociological studies conducted in Nefteyugansk district of Khanty-Mansiysk autonomous okrug — Ugra in 2018 and before are summarized and analyzed. The questionnaire method was applied. The questionnaire included 28 multiple choice questions; respondents should have selected only those answers that they considered acceptable. The monitoring results were analyzed by the program for processing sociological information «Vortex». The monitoring involved respondents of different age groups living in the settlements of Khanty-Mansiysk district. The level of education of the respondents is quite high: 63.3% of respondents have secondary vocational and higher education. The survey shows that the majority of respondents in Khanty-Mansiysk region prefer the Russian language when communicating with the family. In childhood, the respondents’ parents communicated more in Russian. There is an increasing interest in native languages. The vast majority of respondents in the region spoke in favor of preserving their native language. Most respondents showed a desire to learn their native language; they stated the low social significance of the native language and said that their languages threatened with extinction.
native language, possession, use, social significance, indigenous peoples of the North, respondents, KhantyMansiysk district
Said K. Khaknazarov, Cand. Sci. (Geology and Mineralogy), Head of Socio-Economic Development and Monitoring Department in Ob-Ugric Institute of Applied Research and Development, Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia
Khaknazarov S. Kh. Use and public significance of languages of the indigenous peoples of Ugra: sociological aspect. Sotsial’naya kompetentnost’ = Social Competence. 2019, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 87–94. (In Russ.).
- Lantukh N.A. Rodnoi yazyk kak narodnyi pedagog i nastavnik [Native language as a national teacher and mentor]. Available at: http://www.uapryal.com.ua/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/04_Lantuh.doc (accessed: 22 November 2016).
- On the languages of the peoples of the Russian Federation. Federal Law of the Russian Federation dated 10.25.1991 No. 1807-1-FL (as amended on 12.03.2014).
- Available at: http://www.consultant.ru/document/cons_doc_LAW_15524/7d4f737e756645dc3056cac7b854229de806aa7e/ (accessed: 22 November 2016).
- Kozhemyakina V.A. The languages of the indigenous peoples of the North in the context of globalization. Sotsiologiya i obshchestvo: puti vzaimodeistviya. Materialy III Vserossiiskogo sotsiologicheskogo kongressa[Sociology and society: ways of interaction. Proceedings of the III All-Russian Sociological Congress]. Moscow, Institution Sotsiologii RAN, ROS, 2008, p. 69. (In Russ.).
- Pivneva E.A. [Ways of preserving the Ob-Ugric languages and cultures in the context of globalization: the experience of Ugra. Trudy Karel’skogo nauchnogo tsentra RAN[Works of Karelian Research Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences], 2014, no.3, pp. 58–85. (In Russ.).
- Islamova Yu.V. The European language competence system in the study of the functional state of languages (as in case of Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug – Ugra).
- Sever Rossii: strategii i perspektivy razvitiya : materialy II Vserossiiskoi nauch.-praktich. konf. (Surgut, 27 maya 2016 g.).[ North of Russia: strategies and development prospects: proceedings of the II All-Russian scientific and practical conference] Surgut : ITs Publishing center Surgut State University, 2016, vol.1, pp. 45–49. (In Russ.).
- Khaknazarov S.Kh. Sostoyanie rodnykh yazykov korennykh malochislennykh narodov Khanty-Mansiiskogo avtonomnogo okruga – Yugry v 2008–2011 godakh [The state of the native languages of the indigenous peoples of Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug — Ugra in 2008–2011]. Khanty-Mansiisk, Publ., 2012, 202 p. (In Russ.).