Volume 3, Number 3, 2018, P. 6–12
[ JURIDICAL SCIENCES ]
Article (file: pdf, size: 202 KB, downloads: 444)
In the last few years, the issues of image, brand of regions and the country as a whole are particularly relevant. As practice shows, currently there is competition not only among companies, but also regions compete with each other, in particular, for attracting investments. The search for mechanisms that can effectively influence the brand of the region is necessary. One of such mechanisms that improve the brand of the region can be differentiation of a product originating in a certain territory, having special properties that are exclusively or mainly determined by the natural conditions and (or) human factors peculiar to a given geographical object. Depending on the impact of any reasons the special properties of the goods are formed. Goods can acquire such properties due to natural or human factors or their combination. However, regardless of this, the appellation of origin of goods always guarantees the presence of special properties in goods, since they and reputation are conditions for obtaining legal protection. Any of the listed types of appellation of origin of goods contributes to reputation and formation of a positive image of the territory where it is produced. In the current European system of product differentiation, the protected appellation of origin corresponds to the Russian appellation of origin, while the protected geographical indication is not provided in Russian legislation. In order to unify the legislation, as well as to spread the positive European experience, it is proposed to introduce new means of individualizing geographical indications into the Civil Code of the Russian Federation. However, despite the great potential, there are only 169 appellations of origin of goods registered in Russia, so certain measures are required to increase their number, which will include not only state support, but also the promotion of goods through the “Made in Russia” communication project. The article discusses the use of appellations of origin of goods as a mechanism to influence geobranding, suggests ideas for improving the mechanisms of applying this institution.
appellation of origin of goods, intellectual property, geographical indication, geobranding
Olga G. Stepanenko, Candidate of Social Sciences, Associate Professor of Jurisprudence Department, Irkutsk National Research Technical University, Irkutsk, Russia
Stepanenko O.G. Impact of appellation of origin of goods as intellectual property object on geobranding. Sotsial’naya kompetentnost’ = Social Competence. 2018;3(3):6–12. (In Russ.).
- Bliznets I.A., Gavrilov E.P., Dobrynin O.V., Leont’ev K.B., Mukhamedshin I.S., Orlova V.V., Sinel’nikova V.N., Tytskaya G.I. Pravo intellektual’noi sobstvennosti [Intellectual Property Right]. Moscow: Prospekt Publ., 2016. Available at: http://www.studentlibrary.ru/book/ISBN9785392175192.html (accessed January 24, 2018).
- Vidyakina O.V., Stepanenko O.G. CPTI practical activity. Intellektual’naya sobstvennost’. Promyshlennaya sobstvennost’ [Intellectual property. Industrial property], 2015, no. 6, pp. 12–15. (In Russian).
- Galkin D.G. The role of appellations of origin of goods in creating competitive advantages of the region (in case of Altai Territory). Kreativnaya ekonomika [Creative economics], 2012, no. 12 (72), pp. 96–102. (In Russian).
- Geograficheskie ukazaniya [Geographical indications]. Available at: http://www.wipo.int/geo_indications/ru (accessed January 24, 2018).
- Gorlenko S.A. Problema razvitiya instituta naimenovaniya mest proiskhozhdeniya tovarov [The problem of development of appellation of origin institution]. Available at: http://www.council.gov.ru/media/files/rNNCFjpshDQLzMwS6QEPZ6ifSmNSXFjK.pdf (accessed January 24, 2018).
- Civil Code of the Russian Federation (part four) of December 18, 2006 No. 230-FL. Sobranie zakonodatel’stva Rossiiskoi Federatsii [Collected Acts of the Russian Federation], 2006, no. 52, part 1, art. 5496. (In Russian).
- Instrumenty prodvizheniya brendov territorii [Territory Brand Promotion Tools]. Available at: http://economy.gov.ru/minec/activity/sections/innovations/brends/index (accessed December 25, 2017).
- Kitaiskii V.E. Poluchenie prav na sredstva individualizatsii: posobie dlya zayavitelei [Getting the rights to the means of individualization: a guide for applicants], Moscow: INITS “Patent” Publ., 2011, 199 p. (In Russian).
- Matvienko posovetovala regionam zanyat’sya geobrendingom [Matvienko advised the regions to take up geobrending]. Available at: http://regions.ru/news/2484825/ (accessed January 24, 2018).
- Otkrytye reestry FIPS [FIIP public registry]. Available at: http://www1.fips.ru/wps/portal/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3hPT 8cAD293QwN_I18DA0cLv1BHNy8zIwN3Y6B8pFm8s7ujh4m5j4GBu1-Qs4GniZOJkYe7k5GBpzExug1wAEcDArrDQa7FbztIHo_5fh75uan6BbmhEQZZJooAhVJN9g!!/dl3/d3/L0lDU0lKSkpDZ3BSQ1FvS1VRb0tVUWtnIS9ZQVVJQUFJSUlJTU1LRUVBQUNHT0dPQ0dJQkpGSkZCSk5ETkRCTkhJRUFMTEFBISEvNEMxYjlXX05yMFJKa0FsSU1SSmtRbE1LVElSS1VSRWo4QSEhLzdfSUlBUEhLRzEwTzJNMDBBOE5VQUZKNjJHUzUvaWJtLmludi8zNzgwMTAwODQ4NTMvYWNOYW1lL2NsaWNrUmVnaXN0ZXIvcmVnTmFtZS9SVUdQ/ (accessed January 24, 2018).
- Sdelano v Rossii (natsional’nyi brend) [Made in Russia (national brand)]. Available at: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A1%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BE_%D0%B2_%D0%A0%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%81%D0%B8%D0%B8_(%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%86%D0%B8%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B9_%D0%B1%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B4) (accessed January 24, 2018).
- Stepanenko O.G. On the issue of appellation of origin of goods. Kopirait. Vestnik Rossiiskoi akademii intellektual’noi sobstvennosti [Copyright. Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Intellectual Property], 2015, no. 1, pp. 66–73. (In Russian).