Volume 3, Number 2, 2018, P. 40–47
[ PHILOLOGICAL SCIENCES ]
Article (file: pdf, size: 221 KB, downloads: 495)
The article revises the interphrasal units and their functions in the structural-compositional and logical-connecting aspects. The relevance of addressing this issue is indicated with a complex spectrum of interdisciplinary nature, as well as personal approach, emotiveness, axiology, modalities, language worldview, self-presentation and self-realization, etc. The attention is also drawn to the selection of a thematic (topic) material intended to provide a stimulus for unprepared monologue. The principles of formal logic determining the structural links between individual thoughts, which allow us to identify several ways of constructing the whole, are mentioned. The meaningful semantic influence of predominantly functional parts of speech and those units expressing various connections and relationship of non-predicative character, is shown. It is proved that interphrasal markers realize the coherence laws both of textual (written) and oral discourse. Some examples of comparing English–Russian equivalents in using the linkers are given. It is emphasized that in teaching students, on the one hand, it is important to pay attention to connecting elements in logical and semantic transitions; on the other hand, to master the correct expressing your thoughts, according to the individual approach, in which the specific person’s values are concluded, however, at the same time without demonstrating that as the only absolute truth. The subject discussed helps to organize answers from simple memorization to an arbitrary presenting of someone’s ideas.
interphrasal units, discourse elements, logical-compositional structure, linkers, coherence laws, values
Elena D. Yu, Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor of the Department of Foreign Languages or Technical Specialties No. 1 at the Institute of Linguistics and Intercultural Communication, Irkutsk National Research Technical University, Irkutsk, Russia
Yu E.D. Regarding the problem of using the English and Russian interphrasal units in students’ speech. Social Competence, 2018, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 40–47. (In Russian).
- Vikulova L.G., Serebrennikova E.F., Vostrikova O.V., Gerasimova S.A. Linguistic axiological analysis of tokens ‘valeur / value’: a comparative approach. Filologicheskie nauki. Nauchnye doklady vysshei shkoly [Philological sciences. Scientific essays of higher education], 2018, no. 1, pp. 3–13. (In Russian).
- Gal’perin I.R. Tekst kak ob’ekt lingvisticheskogo issledovaniya [Text as an object of linguistic research]. Moscow: KomKniga Publ., 2007, 144 p. (In Russian).
- Kruchinina I.N. Tekstoobrazuyushchie funktsii sochinitel’noi svyazi [Text-forming functions of coordination]. Russkii yazyk. Funktsionirovanie grammaticheskikh kategorii. Tekst i kontekst. Vinogradovskie chteniya XII–XIII [Russian language. Functioning of grammar categories. Text and context. Vinogradov scientific conference XII–XIII]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 1984, pp. 204–210. (In Russian).
- Prokhorova A.A. Semantika mezhfrazovykh edinits svyazi v angliiskom publitsisticheskom diskurse [Semantics of interphrase connection units in English public discourse]. Materialy mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii “Problemy semantiki yazykovykh edinits v kontekste kul’tury (lingvisticheskii i lingvometodicheskii aspekty)” [International scientific-practical conference proceedings “Problems of semantics of language units in the context of culture (linguistic and linguistic methods)”]. (March 17–19, 2006). Moscow: Elpis Publ., 2006, pp. 254–256. (In Russian).
- Chomsky N. Sintaksicheskie struktury [Syntactic structures]. Novoe v lingvistike [New trends in linguistics]. Iss. II. Moscow: Izdatel’stvo inostrannoi literatury Publ., 1962, pp. 412–527. (In Russian).