Volume 3, Number 1, 2018, P. 34–38
[ PHILOLOGICAL SCIENCES ]
Article (file: pdf, size: 160 KB, downloads: 548)
The article examines some aspects of perception situations described by the phrasal verb show up. The author proves that this verb can categorize various perceptual events. Their interpretation depends not only on the type of subject and object of perception but also on some spatial and other characteristics. It was found out that polysemy of the analyzed verb is the result of interaction between perceptual and locative components in its semantics.
event, perception, subject, observer, object, verb denoting perceptional events, locative, interpretation
Ekaterina Yu Kholdeyeva, a Senior Lecturer of Foreign Languages Department No 1 for Engineering Fields of Study, Irkutsk National Research Technical University, Irkutsk, Russia
Kholdeyeva E.Yu. Some semantic aspects of English polysemantic verb // Social Competence. 2018, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 34–38. (In Russian).
- Anan’ev B.G. Sensory-perceptual organization of a person. Cognitive processes: sensation, perception. Pedagogika [Pedagogics], 1982, no. 3, pp. 7–88. (In Russian).
- Barabanshchikov V.A. Ontological paradigm of perception research. Psikhologicheskii zhurnal [Psychological journal], 2009, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 81–95. (In Russian).
- Verkhoturova T.L. Observability in the language (in case of Russian and English perceptual verbs). Voprosy kognitivnoi lingvistiki [Issues of cognitive linguistics], 2004, no. 2–3, pp. 14–26. (In Russian).
- Verkhoturova T.L. Observer in the meaning of the word and sentence. Slovo v predlozhenii [Word in the sentence]. Irkutsk: Irkutsk state linguistic University Publ., 2010, pp. 148–169. (In Russian).
- Dzyuba A.B. Norm of expectation in the formation of lexical meaning (in case of English verbs). Vestnik Irkutskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta [Bulletin of Irkutsk state technical university], 2015, no. 6 (101), pp. 354–358. (In Russian).
- Kubryakova E.S. Kratkii slovar’ kognitivnykh terminov [Concise Dictionary of Cognitive Terms]. Moscow: Philological faculty of Lomonosov Moscow State University Publ., 1997, 245 p. (In Russian).
- Kustova G.I. Perceptual events: participants, observers, loci. Logicheskii analiz yazyka. Obraz cheloveka v kul’ture i yazyke [Logical analysis of the language. The image of a person in culture and language]. Moscow: Indrik, 1999, pp. 229–243. (In Russian).
- Semenova T.I. Lingvisticheskii fenomen kazhimosti [Linguistic phenomenon of seemingness]. Irkutsk: Irkutsk state linguistic University Publ., 2007, 237 p. (In Russian).
- Kholdeeva E.Yu. The observer and observed in the language (in case of the syntagma show + the way). Vestnik Irkutskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta [Bulletin of Irkutsk state technical university], 2015, no. 10 (105), pp. 331–335. (In Russian).
- British National Corpus. Availabe at: http://corpus.byu.edu/bnc/ (accessed 6 February 2018). Corpus of Contemporary American English. Availabe at: http://corpus.byu.edu/coca/ (accessed 5 February 2018).